Established in 1992, the Biosafety Program of BIOTEC aims to strengthen the nation’s capability in biosafety through conducting research in risk assessment (environmental and food safety assessment) and it also acts as the secretariat of the Technical Biosafety Committee (TBC) whose role is to catalyze the formation of, and provide technical assistance to, the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). BIOTEC facilitates the coordination among IBCs across the country (36 IBCs as of June 2013) and strengthens technical capacity of these IBCs through training and dissemination of information.
The Program works closely with international organizations such as the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), ADB’s project on Strengthening Capacity and Regional Cooperation in Advanced Agricultural Science and Technology in the Greater Mekong Sub-region, OECD on Papaya Consensus Document and ILSI Southeast Asian Region, to strengthen biosafety capability for the region.
The following documents have been produced by, or in collaboration with, Technical Biosafety Committee (TBC):
- White Paper: Thailand Updated Status and Perspective on Research and Development of Modern Biotechnology and Biosafety Regulation (3rd Edition) (English language)
- Biosafety Guidelines for Work related to Modern Biotechnology or Genetic Engineering (Thai language)
- Biosafety Guidelines for Contained Use of Genetically Modified Microorganisms at Pilot and Industrial Scales (English language)
- Manual for preparing a report on food safety assessment of genetically modified plants (Thai language)
- Minimum requirements for applying for food safety assessment of genetically modified plants (Thai language)
- Facts about GMO: Public communication on genetically modified organisms (Thai language)
Biosafety website is a web portal to disseminate information on genetically modified organisms and safety assessment. It contains regulatory information, guidelines, manual, e-training, and news.
For more information, please contact:
Fax: +66 (0) 2564 6703