Established in 2006, the Biomedical Technology Research Laboratory is a collaborative effort between BIOTEC and the Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Chiang Mai University. The Center focuses on immunology and molecular biotechnology studies for the development of disease diagnostic kits for diseases of importance to Thailand and this region, including thalassemia, tuberculosis, cancer and coronary heart disease.
- Development of effective technologies for production of protein antigens and antibodies.
- Development of high-performance immunodiagnostic kits.
- Basic research on functional analysis of leukocyte surface molecules, tumor biology, thalassemia and gene therapy.
- Development of immunochromatographic strip test for rapid screening of alpha-thalassemiacarriersby using Hb Bart’s specific monoclonal antibodies.
- Development of novel non-flow cytometric method for enumeration of CD4+ lymphocytesfor assessing HIV/AIDS patients, suitable for limited-resource healthcare facilities.
- Development of simple method for hemoglobin E (HbE) screening.
- Development of ELISA test for screening of alpha-thalassemia 1 carriers by using Zeta globin chain specific monoclonal antibodies.
- Development of small molecule detection using immunochromatographic strip platform.
- Applying phage display for molecular interaction of biomolecules.
- Production of recombinant antigens and antibody fragments.
- Development of integrated bioinformatics algorithm for predicting antibody-antigen interaction.
- Novel strategy for adenoviral gene therapy using intrabody and zinc finger proteins.
- Discovery of novel leukocyte surface molecule.
Major Equipment and Facilities
- Cell culture facilities
- Protein purification facilities
- Molecular biology facilities
- Flow cytometry facilities
- Animal facilities
Prof. Watchara Kasinrerk
c/o Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences
Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 5394 5070
Fax: +66 (0) 5321 6424