Shrimp Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Laboratory is a multidisciplinary laboratory that was established in October 2001 by merging research laboratories from the Departments of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Biotechnology of the Faculty of Science and it is jointly supported by the Faculty of Science, Mahidol University and BIOTEC.
- Molecular study of shrimp pathogens including viruses, bacteria and parasites.
- Development of diagnostic probes and kits for shrimp diseases.
- Research on shrimp humoral and cellular defense mechanisms.
- Shrimp genome analysis.
- Shrimp nutritional research (broodstock).
- Development/improvement of domesticated specific pathogen free (SPF) black tiger shrimp.
- Shrimp reproduction and endocrinology research.
- Study on the feasibility of phage therapy.
- Study of quorum sensing control of Vibrio virulence.
- Multi-trophic culture: red tilapia/shrimp; red tilapia/sea cucumber.
- Diagnostic probes and kits for shrimp pathogens, most of which have been licensed for commercial production:LAMP gel and LAMP LFD for detection of TSV and WSSV
- Loop-mediated isothermal amplification methods with Lateral-Flow Dipsticks for detection of Taura Syndrome Virus (TSV), White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV), Infectious Myonecrosis Virus (IMNV), Hepatopancreatic parvovirus (HPV), Macrobrachium rosenbergii Noda Virus (MrNV), Monodon Baculovirus (MBV)
- LAMP methods using a simple turbidimeter for detection of WSSV and TSV
- PCR diagnostic kits for WSSV, Infectious Hypodermal and Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHHNV), HPV and MBV
- Strip test for Yellow Head Virus (YHV) and WSSV
- Production of SPF P. monodon and triploid P. monodon.
Major Equipmentand Facilities
- Cell and tissue culture facilities
- Facilities for shrimp histopathology and transmission electron microscopy
- PCR analysis and proteomics
- Wet laboratory
Faculty of Science, Mahidol University
Rama 6 Road
Bangkok 10400 Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2201 5870 to 2
Fax: +66 (0) 2354 7344