The Giant Swing - the red wooden landmark of the city, known in Thai as Sao Ching Cha, is a national historic site. It was built in 1782, two years after Bangkok was founded as the capital of Thailand. In 2003, it was found that the Giant Swing had deteriorated beyond repair and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) decided to replace it with a new swing made from golden teak trees harvested from forests in Phrae province.
To preserve this auspicious teak tree, BIOTEC's expertise was solicited to decode the genetic fingerprint of and to clone the teak tree. The fingerprint has successfully been acheived and the tissue culture protocol is being developed for mass propagation.