The aim of our Bio-organic Chemistry Research Team is to create the capacity building for finding bioactive substances from microbes, chemical synthesis/synthetic modification, and development of methods for producing important components for application uses in medicine, agriculture, food supplement industry, health and beauty, etc. with the detail as follows:
1) Our current research is focused mainly on searching for bioactive substances from microbes (with high richness and diversity), collected from various places in Thailand. Group of microbial strains are screened for selected biological activities. The potential strains with tentative capability to produce new bioactive substances are cultured in large scale fermentation, extracted, and purified by activity guided isolation / identification. De-replication technique by using database from our research team's
compound library helps to prevent the isolation of the same substances that have been previously isolated. The new substances are evaluated for some interesting biological activities in order to find the application uses in any fields of interests. Examples of related projects include: 1. Building a chemical library of microbial metabolites which consists of pure substances, crude extracts and chemical profile information (HPLC / LC-MS), 2. Searching for potential substances for anti-TB drug, 3. Searching for edible mushrooms that has effect in reducing blood sugar levels for application as health food, 4. Searching for potential microbes and extracts for application in cosmetic industry, etc.
2) Chemical Modification of natural substrate to improve biological potency, physical property and bioavailability. Chemical synthesis mimicking natural molecules, media optimization of the microbial culture conditions to increase the production of bioactive substances of interest in sufficient quantity for further study in various fields, leading to the concrete benefits.
3) Building the knowledge in chemical synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) at pre- pilot scale for strengthening the country's pharmaceutical industry.
4) Networking between researchers, academic professor, as well as international pharmaceutical companies to promote the development of bioactive compounds as products.
1) High resolution mass spectrometry (HR-ESI-TOF) and Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC/MS)
2) High Performance Liquid Chromatography with Diode array detector (HPLC with DAD)
3) Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometry (NMR)
4) Infrared Spectrometry (IR)
Highlights for the past 5 years work are as follows:
1) A total of 800 active substances including 350 of new and 450 of known compounds.
2) Database of 800 compounds (chemical profiles) in our research team’s chemical library.
3) 60 international publications
Bio-organic Chemistry Research Team
Dr. Chawanee Thongpanchang
National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC)
National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA)
113 Thailand Science Park
Khlong Nueng, Khlong Luang
Pathum Thani 12120 Thailand
Tel: 66 2564 6700 Ext 3552
Fax: 66 2564 6707